Conversations in Clay Activities
Demonstrations on August 29, 2015, Fuller Lodge Art Center, Los Alamos, NM
A day of fun and interesting demonstrations and conversations about ceramic art. These demonstrations are being held in conjunction with the NMPCA Celebration of Clay exhibit, Conversations in Clay. The show is at the FLAC until September 19, 2015.
|11:30 – 1:00||Judy Nelson-Moore||Eileen Gorman|
|1:00 – 2:30||Kari Rives|
|2:30 – 4:00||Cheryl Hoagland|
- Thelma Hahn, Los Alamos. 10-11:30am in ceramic studio. Working with clay slabs: Demonstrating how to make a fun, attractive bowl with slabs of clay.
- Judy Nelson-Moore, Santa Fe. 11:30 – 1pm in ceramic studio. Collaboration discussion and hands-on experience with paperclay: We all work together in our families, our jobs, and our community. What is the difference between collaborating and cooperating? What is important about collaboration in our lives? We’ll talk about this and have a fun hands-on clay experience with paperclay.
- Eileen Gorman, Santa Fe. 11:30am – 1pm in gallery. Slide show, talk and discussion on ceramic jewelry factory in Kenya: History of the factory, photos of women working and the finished product, which is sold in Harrods and other high-end outlets. This small factory provides jobs for women in difficult employment environment. Other art of Kenya and Tanzania will also be shown.
- Kari Rives, Santa Fe. 1-2:30 pm in ceramic studio. Transforming clay into amazing animals: Building animal sculpture using a combination of pinching, coiling and thrown slabs; basically doing whatever it takes to get it made!
- Cheryl Hoagland, Santa Fe. 2:30 – 4pm in ceramic studio. Performing magic on the potter’s wheel: Throwing, altering and faceting of vases. This is the technique I use for Cheryl’s Art Deco pieces and in the 1.5 hr I will demonstrate several examples. I also will have several finished pieces to show from process to final result.
There will be other spontaneous demos and discussions throughout the day.